US: Supervalu profits up, sales mixed
Supervalu Inc. posted a sales decline for Q3
US grocery retailer, Supervalu Inc has reported a jump in third-quarter profits but mixed sales across its business.
Net earnings for the 12 weeks to the end of November stood at US$31m, compared to $16m a year ago.
Profits were helped by lower infrastructure costs and a fall in SG&A expenses. Earnings from a services agreement with Albertson's LLC, the US retailer that snapped up five Supervalu banners last year, were also up.
However, net sales dipped from $4.05bn to $4.01bn, with identical-store sales from its retail food business, which includes the Farm Fresh and Shop 'n Save banners, falling 1.9%.
Sales from Supervalu's independent business, which serves around 1,900 stores across the country, dropped 3.7%.
However, identical-store sales from its Save-a-Lot discount chain were higher, increasing 1.7%.
CEO Sam Duncan felt the company had "made positive strides in all three of our business segments to better position the company for financial growth and improve shareholder value but said there was still "work to do to improve our sales trajectory".
SUPERVALU INC. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings...
The acquisition of 1,100 Albertsons outlets in 2006 greatly improved Supervalu Inc’s market position, propelling the wholesaler and grocery retailer to third place in supermarkets. However, the chain ...
Organic Food in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
Agricultural Products in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report