US: Supervalu profits up, sales mixed
Supervalu Inc. posted a sales decline for Q3
US grocery retailer, Supervalu Inc has reported a jump in third-quarter profits but mixed sales across its business.
Net earnings for the 12 weeks to the end of November stood at US$31m, compared to $16m a year ago.
Profits were helped by lower infrastructure costs and a fall in SG&A expenses. Earnings from a services agreement with Albertson's LLC, the US retailer that snapped up five Supervalu banners last year, were also up.
However, net sales dipped from $4.05bn to $4.01bn, with identical-store sales from its retail food business, which includes the Farm Fresh and Shop 'n Save banners, falling 1.9%.
Sales from Supervalu's independent business, which serves around 1,900 stores across the country, dropped 3.7%.
However, identical-store sales from its Save-a-Lot discount chain were higher, increasing 1.7%.
CEO Sam Duncan felt the company had "made positive strides in all three of our business segments to better position the company for financial growth and improve shareholder value but said there was still "work to do to improve our sales trajectory".
Organic Food in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
Agricultural Products in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019