US: Supervalu's Save-A-Lot opens distribution centre
The US$24m distribution in Lexington, North Carolina centre opens today (30 November)
US discounter Save-A-Lot will today (30 November) open a food distribution centre in Lexington, North Carolina, creating 35 jobs.
The Supervalu subsidiary said the 330,000 sq ft food distribution centre will employ 35 staff initially, with potential for hiring additional workers once the facility reaches full capacity.
Initially, it will service more than 70 stores within a 150-mile radius. The centre features energy-saving technologies, including lights that only operate when a person is present. Construction started on the site in January.
The US$24m project is the result of a collaboration with the state of North Carolina and its One North Carolina Fund, the North Carolina Department of Commerce, Davidson County and the City of Lexington.
John Gerber, Save-A-Lot vice president of distribution said: "This project represents an investment of more than $24m in North Carolina.
"We are committed to growth in the region. We completed construction ahead of schedule and are thrilled to now be able to begin serving our Save-A-Lot stores throughout the area."
Save-A-Lot has nearly 1,300 stores in 39 states from Maine to California and said it plans to expand to 2,400 in the coming years.
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review