UK: Supreme Court rejects Chobani's bid for fresh appeal
Chobani had changed label on UK yoghurts to 'strained' after court upheld Fage complaint
Chobani's request for another appeal against a ruling in the UK that forbid the US yoghurt maker from using the term "Greek yoghurt" has been refused by the country's Supreme Court.
The company wanted to launch a fresh appeal to overturn a permanent injunction handed down by the High Court last year after rival Fage launched a legal battle.
In January, the UK Court of Appeal upheld last year's judgement that ruled 'Greek yoghurt' had to be made in Greece. Chobani's yoghurts are made in the US.
After that appeal was turned down, Chobani said it would turn to the UK Supreme Court. "We remain of the view that the population of the UK know and understand Greek yoghurt to be a product description regardless of where it is made," it said at the time. "We remain committed to the UK market and to breaking the monopoly on the use of the term Greek yoghurt enjoyed by Fage."
However, the UK Supreme Court has dismissed Chobani's request to appeal. A spokesperson for the court confirmed to just-food Chobani had been "refused permission to appeal" on the grounds "the appeal does not raise a point of law of general public importance".
A spokesperson for Chobani said: "While the UK is not currently a market of strategic focus for us, and we have not exported products there since 2013, we are disappointed that the UK Supreme Court refused to prevent the monopoly on the use of the term Greek yoghurt.
"We will continue to advocate our view that the population of the UK knows and understands Greek yoghurt to be a product description in terms of how it’s made not where it is made, similar to things like French fries and English muffins in the US."
Over the forecast period, Fage aims to focus on strengthening its positioning in its best-performing categories, namely, hard cheese and yoghurt. Over the past years, Fage de-listed numerous products ...
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global dairy food market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the lat...
Synopsis Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest happenings in the global dairy food market throughout the month. The monthly report provides the reader with the...
Dairy in Greece industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descriptions...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019