Synder's-Lance unveils "better-for-you" arm
US snack group Snyder's-Lance has unveiled its new division that will focus on developing "better-for-you" products.
The company said in November it would set up the unit and today (6 February) announced the establishment of Clearview Foods, which will look to grow the group's Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps, Eat Smart and Late July Organic Snacks products.
Synder's-Lance said the move was part of the "overall transformation" of the business, pointing to its acquisitions of Snack Factory and Late July in the last two years, as well as the sale of its own-label arm.
"With our new Clearview Foods division, we are in a stronger position to satisfy our consumers' desire for healthy snack choices that deliver on taste and quality," Snyder's-Lance president and CEO Carl Lee said.
Peter Michaud, vice president of Snack Factory, will become general nanager of Clearview Foods.
He said: "We all know that consumers are evolving the way they think about their snacking choices. Rather than shopping by a specific product category, they are seeking products that offer benefits aligned with their desire to eat healthier and adjust with their changing lifestyles. The future to us is all about better understanding these consumer behaviors and offering brands to satisfy them. We are also seeing a shift with our retail customers who have adjusted their shelf sets to offer healthier snacking options in locations across the store to cater to different lifestyle occasions."
The company owns an 80% stake in Late July. It first invested in Late July in 2007 and announced fresh investment in the business last year.
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target