USA: Statement of Genetically Engineered Food Alert: Taco Shell recall
Genetically Engineered Food Alert applauds the efforts of the Kraft Company in voluntarily recalling Taco Bell brand Original taco shells from grocery stores. This afternoon, Kraft Company announced that they are immediately withdrawing all affected products and are advising consumers NOT to eat them, instead to return the product to the stores where they were purchased. Genetically Engineered Food Alert feels that the Kraft Company has acted responsibly in this instance to protect consumers from the possible health effects related to Starlink genetically engineered corn. Starlink corn has not been approved for use in food meant for direct human consumption.Genetically Engineered Food Alert agrees with the Kraft Company's call on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to strengthen their regulation of genetically engineered foods. This is one example of how the FDA has failed to provide proper measures to protect consumers from the potential hazards of genetically engineered foods.Genetically Engineered Food Alert has called on the FDA in a legal petition for the pre-market safety testing of all genetically engineered food products. The coalition has also called for labeling of all genetically engineered foods to ensure consumers' right to know.In today's statement, Kraft has called for a mandatory review of all plant biotechnology advances by the appropriate government agencies before those advances enter the market. They have also called on the Food and Drug Administration to strengthen the requirements for environmental stewardship of plant biotechnology to enhance the integrity of the food supply chain from farm to finished product.For more information on GEFood Alert see:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report