US: Target lowers Q4 guidance amid data breach
Data breach to hit Target's bottom line
Target Corp has warned of larger losses than expected in its fourth-quarter as it revealed a data breach in December may now have affected 70m customers.
In a trading update, the US retailer lowered its overall fourth-quarter adjusted earnings guidance to a range of US$1.20 to $1.30 per share, down from previous guidance of $1.50 to $1.60 per share.
The outlook, Target said, anticipates a fourth-quarter comparable sales decline of around 2.5%. It had previously forecast flat comparable sales.
The retailer, which is due to report its earnings on 26 February, added that it will close around eight underperforming stores on 3 May.
The group also revealed its pre-Christmas security breach was more extensive and has affected millions more shoppers than reported last month.
The breach, which saw hackers steal the personal information of its shoppers, including names, phone numbers and mailing addresses, may now have affected around 70m customers, it said. Target had originally disclosed that around 40m had been affected.
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Modern Grocery Retailing market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 0.76 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is th...
Costco Wholesale Corp, which leads mixed retailers in Canada, has performed well in the face of increased competition and a changing social and demographic landscape. While the retailer benefited from...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report