US: Target lowers Q4 guidance amid data breach
Data breach to hit Target's bottom line
Target Corp has warned of larger losses than expected in its fourth-quarter as it revealed a data breach in December may now have affected 70m customers.
In a trading update, the US retailer lowered its overall fourth-quarter adjusted earnings guidance to a range of US$1.20 to $1.30 per share, down from previous guidance of $1.50 to $1.60 per share.
The outlook, Target said, anticipates a fourth-quarter comparable sales decline of around 2.5%. It had previously forecast flat comparable sales.
The retailer, which is due to report its earnings on 26 February, added that it will close around eight underperforming stores on 3 May.
The group also revealed its pre-Christmas security breach was more extensive and has affected millions more shoppers than reported last month.
The breach, which saw hackers steal the personal information of its shoppers, including names, phone numbers and mailing addresses, may now have affected around 70m customers, it said. Target had originally disclosed that around 40m had been affected.
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Modern Grocery Retailing market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 0.76 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is th...
Costco Wholesale Corp, which leads mixed retailers in Canada, has performed well in the face of increased competition and a changing social and demographic landscape. While the retailer benefited from...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits