EGYPT: Temporary duty on powdered milk
The Egyptian government has temporarily imposed safeguard duties of 45% on imports of powdered milk, which it claims are increasing in scale so swiftly as to risk "great damage that would be difficult to repair," within the domestic powdered milk producing industry.The duty has initially been set for 200 days from 26 September, whilst further inquiries are made by Cairo, where it is claimed that imports increased by 89% from 1996 to 1999.Meanwhile, Thailand has launched disputes proceedings at the WTO against Egypt, regarding Cairo's import ban on Thai canned tuna and soybean oil. Bangkok has requested formal consultations with the Egyptian government, which could lead to the establishment of an arbitration panel. Argentina has also requested formal talks at the WTO with its neighbour Chile, complaining about provisional safeguard duties of 16% that it has imposed on imports of powdered milk and liquid UHT milk.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report