UK: Tesco bid for T&S cleared by Trade Secretary
Trade Secretary Patricia Hewitt has given the go ahead for UK retail giant Tesco's purchase of UK convenience store chain T&S. Following the advice of the UK Office of Fair Trading, Hewitt decided not to refer the matter to the Competition Commission, reported BBC Online. Rival supermarket chains had criticised the bid due to fears that the deal would give Tesco too much power in the market. Tesco, however, countered that the deal would only give it 5% of the total convenience store market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target