CZECH: Tesco "bids" for local Plus business
Tesco has reportedly made a bid to buy Tengelmann's Plus stores in the Czech Republic.
The UK's largest grocer has emerged as a bidder for the 133 Plus discount outlets, according to Czech daily Mlada fronta Dnes.
The report claims that Tesco is among four interested parties in the stores. Lidl owner Schwarz Group, German retail giant Rewe and Interspar, a Czech Spar franchise, are also said to be eyeing the business.
Tengelmann ceded control of its Plus stores in Germany last month and is weighing up the options for its discount business throughout Europe.
Tesco, which already runs 93 stores in the Czech Republic, refused to be drawn on the reports. "We do not comment on rumours and speculation," a spokesman told just-food this afternoon (12 December).
Tesco has fought back against claims that its US staff do not enjoy the same employment rights as those in the UK....
Carrefour is extending its "single brand" strategy in France in order to simplify its offering and strengthen its namesake brand....
Morrisons, the UK's fourth-largest grocer, today (5 June) reported "industry-leading" sales figures during its fiscal first quarter....
French retailer Carrefour has opened its first Carrefour Express convenience store in China....
Tesco has indicated that the company's future growth will be driven by international expansion....
Carrefour has unveiled plans to set up a board of directors....
Striking farmers often prove adept at grabbing the headlines and this week has proved no exception. Farmers have launched protests in Germany and the Netherlands in a bid to win higher milk prices as ...
Carrefour hopes to double the number of outlets it operates in Turkey by 2010, the French retail giant told just-food today (28 May)....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up