HORSEMEAT: UPDATE: Tesco CEO announces supply chain changes
Clarke pledges to simplify supply chain
Tesco's CEO has announced a raft of changes to its supply chain in the shadow of the horsemeat scandal, including a promise to source all fresh chicken from within the UK and the appointment of an 'agriculture director'.
Speaking at the National Farmers Union annual conference today (27 February), Philip Clarke outlined new measure to shorten Tesco's supply chain and build closer working relationships with farmers. He said the horsemeat scandal has been a "wake-up call" for the industry.
As part of a plan to "bring food closer to home", he promised that, from July, all fresh chicken sold by Tesco will be sourced from within the UK.
"No exceptions," he said, adding that the retailer plans to do the same with frozen chicken "over time". All of the retailer's fresh beef is already sourced in the UK.
Tesco will also appoint an agriculture director, who will be responsible for a series of new 'sustainable farming groups'.
This model already exists in Tesco's dairy supply, but the format will now be launched to cover all protein sources, while the firm will also examine whether it can create similar groups for fruit, vegetables and salad.
In order to help restore consumer confidence following the horsemeat debacle, in which Tesco was one of the first to recall products, Clarke also announced the creation of "independent panel of experts" to improve the way the group's supply chain works in practice.
At the consumer end, Tesco will launch an interactive website to tell consumers what's in their food and use video to 'open up the supply chain'.
After Lindt & Sprungli reported higher solid first-half results last week, just-food interviewed the Swiss chocolate group's CEO Ernst Tanner to discuss its growth in mature markets and its patient st...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report