UK: Tesco chairman unconcerned at Wal-Mart competition
David Reid, deputy chairman of the UK's largest retail group, has recently announced that Tesco was happy to grow organically on an international level, and that the threat of competition from US group Wal-Mart was highly over-exaggerated."We don't have to be running round looking for things to buy. One advantage with an organic-led strategy is that you can put stores absolutely slap bang where you want them," Reid commented.He added that after the much-anticipated arrival of discount retail chain Wal-Mart into the UK market, following their 1999 acquisition of Asda, Tesco had proved more than capable of coping with the competition. "I don't think Wal-Mart has hit us at all. I think people are starting to get into perspective the effect of Wal-Mart." Tesco's sales, driven by consumer focus, were up again this year and this positive trend was echoed in turnover, profits, personal finance accounts and even the registering of online customers.Reid added that he was congratulating his staff following the recent petrol crisis, during which a good work ethic was demonstrated: "There was no absenteeism and everybody put extra effort in."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review