CHINA/UK: Tesco close to buying stake in Chinese retailer - report
UK supermarket group Tesco is reported to be in talks to buy a stake in a Chinese retail chain in a bid to break into what is potentially one of the world's biggest consumer markets.
Tesco, which has long been expected to enter the Chinese market, is seeking to buy a 50% stake in Tsing Hsin International, which owns 25 hypermarkets in China, for around US$200m, reported the Financial Times.
The negotiations are believed to have been taking place for some time but are now at an advanced stage, the newspaper reported, citing sources close to the situation.
Tsing Hsin operates stores under the Hymall and Le Gou banners, and has ten stores in Shanghai.
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
French supermarket chain Carrefour has announced a 4.8% rise in pro forma group sales, including VAT, but ex-currency in the first quarter of 2004....
Tesco, the UK's biggest supermarket chain, has today (Tuesday) reported a 20.5% rise in pre-tax profits to £2.029bn (US$3.84bn) for the 52 weeks ended 26 February 2005....
UK supermarket giant Tesco is planning to open a further 40 stores in central Europe, according to the Financial Times Newspaper....
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
UK Supermarkets import a much higher proportion of organic pork than is the case with conventional supplies, according to organic food lobby group the Soil Association....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
UK supermarket Tesco will reveal a record £2bn (US$3.74bn) profit next week, according to the London Evening Standard newspaper....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review