UK: Tesco cuts prices ahead of Competition Commission report
Leading UK multiple Tesco has announced a new wave of price cuts, the second since January. Some product prices will be lowered by as much as 20% and the overall package of price cuts will wipe £55m off 1004 items. Tesco claimed that the cost of an average shopping trolley would be slashed by 11% for a pensioner, 9% for a young family and 12% for a student.It is unlikely to be a coincidence that the move comes just hours ahead of a report from the UK Competition Commission following a two-year inquiry in supermarket profitability and supplier relations. While the report is expected to exonerate the supermarkets from the worst charges of anti-competitive behaviour, the majors will certainly be in the spotlight so news of price cuts is timely.An interim report from the Commission cleared the big five - Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Safeway and Morrisons - from excessive profiteering, and competition in the sector has been sharpened since the inquiry began. This is primarily as a result of the acquisition of Asda by Wal-Mart, the world' leading retailer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- UK yogurt makers call for added sugar "clarity"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review