UK: Tesco cuts prices ahead of Competition Commission report
Leading UK multiple Tesco has announced a new wave of price cuts, the second since January. Some product prices will be lowered by as much as 20% and the overall package of price cuts will wipe £55m off 1004 items. Tesco claimed that the cost of an average shopping trolley would be slashed by 11% for a pensioner, 9% for a young family and 12% for a student.It is unlikely to be a coincidence that the move comes just hours ahead of a report from the UK Competition Commission following a two-year inquiry in supermarket profitability and supplier relations. While the report is expected to exonerate the supermarkets from the worst charges of anti-competitive behaviour, the majors will certainly be in the spotlight so news of price cuts is timely.An interim report from the Commission cleared the big five - Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Safeway and Morrisons - from excessive profiteering, and competition in the sector has been sharpened since the inquiry began. This is primarily as a result of the acquisition of Asda by Wal-Mart, the world' leading retailer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report