UPDATE: UK: Tesco distribution reshuffle "devastating" - Union
Usdaw, the union, said it will now meet with Tesco following the proposals
The union representing workers affected by Tesco's plans to reshuffle its distribution network in the UK said the news is "devastating" for its members.
The retail giant yesterday (25 February) revealed plans to reorganised its distribution network, putting up to 2,000 jobs at risk.
The group is closing distribution centres in Harlow, Weybridge and Chesterfield, which employ 800, 650 and 400 staff respectively. Tesco said it will attempt to relocate workers to two new super hubs opening in Reading and Dagenham, which are expected to create 1,900 jobs.
Usdaw, the union, said it will now meet with Tesco following the proposals.
"This is devastating news for our members and we will be examining very closely the business case for these proposed changes," said National officer Joanne McGuinness.
"We will be using the 90-day consultation period to consult with the company on behalf of our members who are now facing an uncertain future. While the company's review of its distribution network has been going on for some time now, the proposed closures of the Chesterfield, Harlow and Weybridge sites has still come as a great shock to our members."
She added: "While we understand the retail sector never stands still, the human cost in these upheavals has impacted massively on the UK's warehouse and distribution workforce."
After Lindt & Sprungli reported higher solid first-half results last week, just-food interviewed the Swiss chocolate group's CEO Ernst Tanner to discuss its growth in mature markets and its patient st...
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Campaigners attack UK child obesity plan
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights