UK: Tesco drops New Covent Garden Soup line in range review
Hain said the delisting coincides with Tesco’s winter soup range review
UK retailer Tesco has dropped the New Covent Garden Soup range from its shelves as part of a range review.
A spokesperson for Tesco confirmed the move today (29 October). "We regularly review our range to reflect changes in the products our customers buy," a spokesperson said.
Rob Dixon, marketing controller of Hain Daniels, the UK arm of New Covent Garden Soup owner Hain Celestial, said the delisting coincides with Tesco's winter soup range review.
He added: "The decision comes just ahead of a new, GBP2m marketing campaign for New Covent Garden soup which breaks on 5 November. The campaign includes national TV advertising."
Hain cited figures from Nielsen that it said showed the brand had "outperformed" the UK fresh soup market. Sales were up 17% in value terms in the last 26 weeks, ahead of total market growth of 14%, it said.
The delisting comes a year after Tesco launched its own-label New York Soup Co, which it has reportedly expanded in recent weeks.
Retailers in Europe are looking again at the in-store experience for shoppers, refurbishing outlets and using technology, writes IRI's Laura Volpini....
The GM debate has re-emerged in the UK in the last couple of weeks with the news four major supermarket operators will allow their suppliers to use GM feed for poultry and eggs....
Sainsbury's has insisted it has "no plans" to open stores in India following a claim from a local government minister the UK grocer was interested in entering the market....
Cheese manufacturer Joseph Heler has launched what it claims is the first reduced salt cheddar to the UK market....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019