UK/US: Tesco eyeing expansion in northern California
The company has opened 15 Fresh & Easy outlets in Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix and Los Angeles and is aiming to have 200 outlets in the US by 2009.
Tesco told just-food that it is looking at sites for new stores in San Francisco and Northern California and said it would build a second distribution centre.
"Due to the positive feedback that Fresh & Easy has received among its customers and that expansion, Fresh & Easy will require a new distribution centre," the company said.
However, Tesco said reports that it wants to build a 1,000-strong Fresh & Easy chain were "incorrect".
It has taken Tesco to shake Wal-Mart into action in the US but with the country's largest retailer planning to open its own local, small-format stores, it will be a testing time across the Atlantic fo...
Tesco has remained tight-lipped on rumours that it is in talks with several Indian partners with a view to entering the market....
The stakes are high for Tesco as it embarks on its US adventure. The UK retail giant is just weeks into its foray into the US and, so far, the signs for its Fresh & Easy business are positive. But can...
Following criticism from celebrity chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Tesco has defended its decision to sell factory farmed chicken....
Aimia Foods is preparing to launch a Milky Way branded milkshake, produced under licence, on to the UK market....
Tesco revealed plans to move some of its freight off road and onto rail....
Tesco has called on the UK advertising watchdog to intervene over Ocado's marketing campaign that claims the online grocery retailer is matching the prices of the UK's largest supermarkets....
Coles owner Wesfarmers has announced that two new members will join the Australian retailer's management team as part of its push to restructure the flagging grocer....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods