TURKEY: Tesco in talks over Turkish arm
Tesco has 191 stores in Turkey, according to its website
Tesco Kipa, the Turkish unit of the UK retailer, has today (24 February) confirmed its parent is in talks over possible options for the future of the business.
"Tesco plc is in the early stages of negotiations with different companies over different options," Tesco Kipa, which is listed in Turkey, said in a statement to the Borsa Istanbul.
The announcement followed speculation late last week that Tesco was weighing up its options for its Turkish business.
Sales have been falling and some in the City said Tesco, after exiting Japan and the US, as well as selling control of its Chinese business, could look at a transaction for its Turkish arm.
The Financial Times said on Friday (21 February) Tesco had held talks with private-equity firm BC Partners, majority owner of Turkish chain Migros Ticaret, about combining their assets.
"We don't comment on rumour or speculation," a Tesco spokesperson told just-food late on Friday.
In another statement to the Borsa Istanbul this morning, Migros Ticaret, responding to the speculation on Friday, said: "As a private-equity company, BC Partners periodically assesses alternatives for all its existing investments, including Migros, as part of the normal flow of its activities."
Migros wants to strengthen its strong position in Turkish retailing, and to be a strong, regional retail chain, which ranks either first or second in the countries in which it operates. In line with i...
This is a detailed report covering Tesco Kipa’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Turkey....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Czech Republic....
Canadean's "Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi A.S. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)