UK: Tesco increases market share to 29%
UK supermarket chain Tesco now has a record 29% of the UK grocery retail market, according to the latest industry data from market researcher TNS.
Tesco's market share increased to 29% in the 12 weeks to 2 January, compared to 28.7% a month earlier and 26.6% in the year-ago period, reported Reuters.
Supermarket group Wm Morrison continued to leak market share after its takeover of rival chain Safeway. The combined market share of Morrisons and Safeway was 12.4% in the 12-week period, compared to 12.8% a month earlier and 14.5% in the year-ago period.
But there was better news for struggling supermarket chain Sainsbury, which increased its market share to 15.9% in the 12-week period, from 15.6% a month earlier. However, its share was still down compared to the 16.3% it had in the year-ago period.
"Sainsbury, while not setting any records, has slowed its rate of decline...Christmas is traditionally a strong period for the outlet and the share duly rose for the fourth period in succession," Edward Garner, communications director of TNS Superpanel, was quoted by Reuters as saying.
Meanwhile, the UK's second-largest grocer, Asda, owned by US retail titan Wal-Mart, recorded a market share of 17.1% in the latest period, compared to 16.8% a month earlier and 16.7% in the year-ago period.
Supermarket Safeway is today (Wednesday) opening a new $175m distribution centre in Auburn, Washington, the culmination of a 2 1/2 year project which it says solidifies its position in the north west....
Locally owned food retailer CBA is Hungary's biggest supermarket, according to the Budapest Business Journal, which cited statistics compiled by AC Nielsen for trade journal Mai Piac....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
Tesco, the UK's biggest supermarket chain, has today (Tuesday) reported a 20.5% rise in pre-tax profits to £2.029bn (US$3.84bn) for the 52 weeks ended 26 February 2005....
UK supermarket giant Tesco is planning to open a further 40 stores in central Europe, according to the Financial Times Newspaper....
UK Supermarkets import a much higher proportion of organic pork than is the case with conventional supplies, according to organic food lobby group the Soil Association....
UK supermarket Tesco will reveal a record £2bn (US$3.74bn) profit next week, according to the London Evening Standard newspaper....
UK supermarket Sainsbury grew faster than Wal-Mart's Asda in the twelve weeks to 27 March 2005, the first time that has happened for ten years, according to figures from market researchers TNS....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review