IRELAND: Tesco pays Aldi damages over price comparisons
A spokesperson for Tesco said the settlement endorsed comparative advertising
The German chain sued Tesco over how the UK retail giant was comparing prices in its Irish outlets.
According to the Irish Examiner, Aldi alleged Tesco has been "misleading" customers in its in-store campaign by failing to compare like with like.
The case has reportedly been settled ahead of an eight-day hearing scheduled for next week, the publication noted.
Tesco has agreed to pay EUR150,000 (US$194,800) in damages to Aldi and has agreed not to engage in misleading price comparisons with the retailer with regard to criteria such as the quality, nature and origin of a product.
A spokesperson for Tesco told just-food the settlement endorsed comparative advertising, which it said was "good for the consumer".
"Retailing in Ireland is amongst the most competitive in the world. The settlement sets down clearly for the first time the ground rules for how comparative advertising can happen. It is an important part of the competitive environment in retailing and we are pleased that it can continue within the parameters set out."
The spokesperson said Tesco accepts the principles set down in the settlement and will "continue to drive competition and innovation in the Irish market".
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015