IRELAND: Tesco retains market share top spot - Kantar
Tesco held its market share at 27.8%
Retail giant Tesco has retained its top spot with the largest retail market share in Ireland, growing broadly in line with the market, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel.
Figures published today (14 January) show Tesco held its market share at 27.8%, with sales growth of 0.9% for the 12 weeks to 23 December.
Dunnes managed to increase its supermarket share by 0.4% to 23.9%, behind Tesco, with sales growth of 1.9% - well ahead of the market growth rate of 0.3%.
"The strong performance of Dunnes comes after a prolonged period of under-performance, with market share hitting a low point of 21.4% in September," said Kantar commercial director David Berry. "The boost in share over Christmas has regained some of this lost ground and places the retailer in a more competitive position for 2013."
Elsewhere, SuperValu also both performed broadly in line with the market, according to Kantar, but its market share dipped slightly to 19.5% from 19.8%.
Aldi and Lidl achieved a combined 12.6% market share in October, with this dipping to 11.9% in the latest month.
Grocery inflation stood at 5% in the period, an increase on the 4.2% recorded last period and the highest since the 5.6% seen in May 2011.
One Stop, Tesco's UK c-store chain, is to snap up 33 outlets from Spar operator Alfred Jones....
UK cooked and frozen meat products manufacturer Snowbird Foods is to be sold in a management buy-out....
- What Grexit could mean for the food industry
- just-food's pick: Top trends at Fancy Food Show
- Focus: Can General Mills improve US retail sales?
- How Russia's embargo affects domestic firms
- Focus: ConAgra own-label exit plan is about growth
- Mondelez launches Oreo Thins in US
- Leclerc to contest ruling on supplier payments
- North Castle acquires stake in Sprout
- ABF's Kingsmill returns to Tesco
- UK's first free range milk label launched
- Nestlé SA in Packaged Food: Confectionery, Ice Cream, Sauces, Dressings and Condiments (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: News and Events April 2015