IRELAND: Tesco retains market share top spot - Kantar
Tesco held its market share at 27.8%
Retail giant Tesco has retained its top spot with the largest retail market share in Ireland, growing broadly in line with the market, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel.
Figures published today (14 January) show Tesco held its market share at 27.8%, with sales growth of 0.9% for the 12 weeks to 23 December.
Dunnes managed to increase its supermarket share by 0.4% to 23.9%, behind Tesco, with sales growth of 1.9% - well ahead of the market growth rate of 0.3%.
"The strong performance of Dunnes comes after a prolonged period of under-performance, with market share hitting a low point of 21.4% in September," said Kantar commercial director David Berry. "The boost in share over Christmas has regained some of this lost ground and places the retailer in a more competitive position for 2013."
Elsewhere, SuperValu also both performed broadly in line with the market, according to Kantar, but its market share dipped slightly to 19.5% from 19.8%.
Aldi and Lidl achieved a combined 12.6% market share in October, with this dipping to 11.9% in the latest month.
Grocery inflation stood at 5% in the period, an increase on the 4.2% recorded last period and the highest since the 5.6% seen in May 2011.
One Stop, Tesco's UK c-store chain, is to snap up 33 outlets from Spar operator Alfred Jones....
UK cooked and frozen meat products manufacturer Snowbird Foods is to be sold in a management buy-out....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis