UPDATE: THAILAND: Tesco sees Thailand as "exciting" market for growth
Tesco operates a multi-format business in Thailand
Tesco has said it views Thailand as a "very exciting" market after the retail giant said it will invest in a further five Lotus-anchored shopping malls in the country.
"The business there has proved hugely popular with Thai customers so it's a very exciting market for Tesco to be in," a spokesperson told just-food. "It's been a highly successful business that has been very well received."
The UK retailer announced the plans for the new malls yesterday. The move forms part of expansion plans that earlier this year included the listing of a property fund in Thailand.
The spokesperson said it sees plenty of potential for growth in the country.
"[We entered Thailand] at a time when we were looking at overseas opportunity in markets with long-term growth potential and markets where the political and legal environment would allows us to get on and run a business.
"We did the research with customers and we thought there was a customer opportunity we thought we could match. Thailand was our first Asian business and it has proven to be a very good market for us."
The spokesperson, however, declined to comment on its plans for growth given the retailer is in its quiet period ahead of its half-year results, which are published next month.
Tesco operates a multi-format business in Thailand through its Lotus banner comprising hypermarket, Express and Extra stores. It entered the country in 1997.
Dutch retail giant Ahold said the firm has the strength in its balance sheet to consider acquisition opportunities as one way of driving shareholder returns in 2013....
UK dairy group Dairy Crest has acquired small specialist regional milk group Proper Welsh Milk....
Morrisons has acquired six HMV stores from the music retailer's administrator, Deloitte, as the grocer seeks to expand its presence in convenience....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights