UK: Tesco shares slide after latest sales declines
Tesco sales fell in the UK and internationally over Christmas and New Year
Tesco has again reported declines in sales at home and abroad as it outlined how it traded during Christmas and New Year.
The retailer said "further weakness in the UK grocery market" contributed to a 2.4% drop in its domestic like-for-like sales in the six weeks ended 4 January. Total UK sales were down 1.5%.
Tesco said its UK results also suffered from a "tougher comparative" with last year. It also pointed to its moves to scale back its store openings and "transform" its general merchandise ranges.
Internationally, Tesco's sales fell again but it said its performance had improved. Like-for-like sales, excluding fuel, were down 3.6%. In Tesco's third quarter to 23 November, sales fell 4.6%.
Tesco said like-for-like sales in each of its European markets had improved, with sales in Poland and Hungary returning to positive territory. Like-for-like sales in Europe as a whole were down 1.6%. At constant exchange rates, total sales for Europe dropped 0.8%.
Like-for-like sales in Asia were "slightly weaker", falling 5.9%, with the political disruption in Thailand affecting its business. At constant exchange rates, total sales in Asia declined 0.6%.
Group sales in the six-week period slid 1.2%.
Tesco's shares were down 3.8% at 08:54 this morning to 316.25 pence.
Tesco said it expects to report a full-year group trading profit within the range of current market expectations, which it said were between GBP3.16bn (US$5.2bn) and GBP3.41bn.
Click here for a round-up of what retail analysts thought of Tesco's trading update.
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Poland....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in China. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report w...
Tesco PLC (TSCO) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report