UK: Tesco shares slide after latest sales declines
Tesco sales fell in the UK and internationally over Christmas and New Year
Tesco has again reported declines in sales at home and abroad as it outlined how it traded during Christmas and New Year.
The retailer said "further weakness in the UK grocery market" contributed to a 2.4% drop in its domestic like-for-like sales in the six weeks ended 4 January. Total UK sales were down 1.5%.
Tesco said its UK results also suffered from a "tougher comparative" with last year. It also pointed to its moves to scale back its store openings and "transform" its general merchandise ranges.
Internationally, Tesco's sales fell again but it said its performance had improved. Like-for-like sales, excluding fuel, were down 3.6%. In Tesco's third quarter to 23 November, sales fell 4.6%.
Tesco said like-for-like sales in each of its European markets had improved, with sales in Poland and Hungary returning to positive territory. Like-for-like sales in Europe as a whole were down 1.6%. At constant exchange rates, total sales for Europe dropped 0.8%.
Like-for-like sales in Asia were "slightly weaker", falling 5.9%, with the political disruption in Thailand affecting its business. At constant exchange rates, total sales in Asia declined 0.6%.
Group sales in the six-week period slid 1.2%.
Tesco's shares were down 3.8% at 08:54 this morning to 316.25 pence.
Tesco said it expects to report a full-year group trading profit within the range of current market expectations, which it said were between GBP3.16bn (US$5.2bn) and GBP3.41bn.
Click here for a round-up of what retail analysts thought of Tesco's trading update.
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Poland....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in China. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report w...
Tesco PLC (TSCO) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Comment: Act now to cut antibiotics in meat
- PepsiCo underlines the challenge on health
- Russia "likely to extend food embargo"
- Kerry benefits from snacking trends
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez China
- Fonterra warns on geopolitical unrest, oversupply
- First Milk to cut jobs, milk prices
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019
- Arla Foods amba - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?