UK: Tesco slammed for 'breaking sustainable tuna promise'
Tesco is accused of having gone back on its promise to only stock sustainable tuna
Greenpeace has lashed out at Tesco alleging it has reneged on a promise it would only stock sustainable tuna.
In a blog post, Greenpeace activist Ariana Densham said Tesco promised three years ago "to help protect our oceans" by only stocking tuna that was fished sustainably and in a way that didn't threaten other wildlife.
"At the same time as going 100% pole and line in its own brand in 2012, Tesco introduced a new dodgy brand called Oriental & Pacific back on to its shelves. Just like the Big Bad Wolf in disguise, Tesco has brought unsustainable tuna back - just this time under a different label," wrote Densham.
A spokesperson for Tesco told just-food today (3 February), "The Greenpeace assessment is simply wrong."
"We moved much faster than many of our competitors to make sure our own-brand tuna is 100% pole and line. We have also promised to use sustainable tuna in other products like pastas, sandwiches and salads. Many of our competitors continue to sell non-pole and line caught tuna. Customers have a great choice of sustainable tuna at Tesco."
However no response was offered when asked whether the Oriental & Pacific tuna brand was sustainably sourced.
John West and Princes tuna brands were also criticised as being "no better than it was in 2011". Morissons, Sainsbury's, M&S, Waitrose and Co-op however were tagged "tuna market leaders - all with 100% sustainable tuna in their tins."
J Sainsbury plc (SBRY) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Glob...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Canadean's "Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi A.S. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
Tesco aims to maintain its leading position in retailing in Hungary in 2013 through constant innovation, an ever wider range of products and a stronger image through the offer a new private label rang...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)