FRANCE : Tesco to close its Vins Plus store near Calais
Tesco's store near Calais to close
Tesco is planning to close its Vins Plus store in the Cité d'Europe shopping mall near Calais at the end of next month.
There are 71 staff at the store which opened 15 years ago, largely to cater for a UK clientele in search of cheap alcohol.
However, the store's appeal as a convenient, competitively-priced outlet for alcohol has diminished as a result of the weak pound against the euro and the recession while UK supermarkets have also dropped their prices.
Unions at Tesco Vins Plus contest the management's view that the store is no longer a going concern and claim that a report from an independent auditor appointed by the works council concludes that there is no economic justification to close the store.
Works council meetings planned for next week will discuss the auditor's report and also redundancy terms.
Earlier this year, Oddbins Calais closed its doors while according to industry reports Sainsbury will close its Calais Wine store - a jv with French counterpart, Auchan, at the end of the month.
The week kicked-off with the news that the purchase of French cheese maker Entremont Alliance by dairy co-operative Sodiaal had been approved....
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis