INDIA: Tesco to invest GBP85m in Tata JV
Tesco pushes ahead with India investment
The groups had signalled that they were looking at a deal to see Tesco take a 50% stake in Trent at the end of last year.
The news follows regulatory approval of the move from India's Foreign Investment Promotion Board, Tesco said today (21 March).
Trent Hypermarket operates the Star Bazaar chain in India.
Tesco and Tata have worked in together in India since 2008. Under wholesale and franchise agreements, Tesco has supplied goods to the Star Bazaar chain.
The Indian business said the two companies would look to expand the Star Bazaar chain, which currently has stores in Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Tesco is the first international retailer to take advantage of the easing of Indian restrictions on foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
Foreign companies were prohibited from investing in multi-brand retail outlets in India and overseas retailers like Tesco sought wholesale and franchise deals.
However, last year, India said it would allow international investors to own up to 51% of multi-brand outlets.
International retailers including Carrefour and Wal-Mart have been studying the implications of the new regulations - and whether the remaining restrictions in areas such as sourcing could prove prohibitive to profitable growth.
Earlier this month, Carrefour CEO Georges Plassat indicated the company could reach a decision on whether to expand in India in "a matter of months".
Tesco confirms Joint Venture with Tata in India
Following its previous announcement and receipt of approval from the Indian Foreign Investment Promotion Board, Tesco has today entered into an agreement with Trent Limited, part of the Tata Group, to form a 50:50 Joint Venture in Trent Hypermarket Limited (THL) which operates the Star Bazaar retail business in India. Tesco's investment will be around £85 million.
Completion of this transaction is subject to other necessary approvals.
Original source: Tesco
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
Canadean's "Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi A.S. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Findus: "No sale process underway" in UK
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019