SWITZERLAND: Tetra Pak unveils probiotic straws in the US
In the bid for something new in the packaging market, Tetra Pak has signed a joint marketing agreement with research and development company BioGaia Biologics to add probiotic straws to ambient packaging in the US.
The individually wrapped LifeTop Straws contain the lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus Reuteri (Reuteri) and can be attached to the outside of beverage cartons. Reuteri is thought to help reduce the risk of stomach disorders, and the idea is that the straw will release the probiotics when the product is consumed.
The straw will also be the first ambient product of its kind, and the shelf life of Reuteri will extend from a few weeks to many months.
BioGaia revealed that it has patents pending for the straws in all of its key markets.
Jacquelyn Paul, global general manager, COE Nutritionals, Tetra Pak, explained to Oresund Food Excellence News: "Tetra Pak wants to provide innovative solutions to its clients. With a product like LifeTopTM Straw, Tetra Pak and BioGaia can drive both consumer satisfaction and a health conscious product at the same time."
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Interview: The Soulfull Project's mission
- Post Holdings 'close to acquiring Weetabix'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action