USA: Texas Firm Recalls Italian Sausage For Possible Contamination With Plastic
Owens Country Sausage, Inc., a Richardson, Texas, firm, is voluntarily recalling approximately 8,500 pounds of Italian sausages that may be contaminated with plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today.The product being recalled is 16-ounce rolls of "Owens" brand "ITALIAN SAUSAGE." Each package label has a code of 5A3 or 5B3, a "Sell-By" date of "JUN 17 2000," and "Est. 403" appears on the label inside the USDA seal of inspection.The product was produced on May 3, and was distributed to retail stores in the following states--Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Arkansas."We urge consumers to check their refrigerators and freezers," said Ron Hicks, FSIS acting administrator. "If they find any of the products listed above, consumers should not eat them, but return them to the point of purchase."The problem was initially discovered after a consumer called the company to complain about finding plastic in the product.Consumers with questions about the recall may contact Karrie Menz, Quality Assurance Manager, Owens Country Sausage, Inc., at (972) 235-7181. Media with questions may contact Vinson Kirchner, President, Owens Country Sausage, Inc., at (972) 235-7181.Consumers with other food safety questions can phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-800-535-4555. The hotline can be reached from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review