UK: The Co-op secures leases for 54 pub sites from NewRiver Retail
NewRiver Retail said stores will be 3,000-4,500 sq ft in size
UK retailer The Co-operative Group has struck a deal for leases to 54 sites from AIM-listed real estate firm NewRiver Retail.
NewRiver Retail said today (7 April) it had signed a "conditional agreement" to lease the stores from its pub estate.
"The majority will be new-build projects constructed on surplus land adjacent to the existing public houses," the company said. "The remaining part of the portfolio will be conventional conversions from public house use to c-Stores, or redeveloped as stand-alone convenience retail stores."
In November, NewRiver acquired 202 pubs from UK brewer Marston's to convert the assets primarily into convenience stores.
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- Free-from firm BFree Foods - bitesize interview
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream finalise joint venture plans
- Hershey buys company behind BarkThins brand
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- Young's eyeing new channels, M&A