UK: The Flora "Family" and Heart Health
Unilever, the makers of Flora, has a long history in 'heart health' spreads and margarines, and is the world's leading producer.From the late 1950's onwards, the link between saturated fat in the diet and its relationship with blood cholesterol levels became increasingly established amongst the scientific community 1,2.At the request of the medical profession, Unilever was asked to develop a healthy alternative to butter, lard and hard margarine. The response was a spread that was high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and low in saturated fatty acids. The spread, known as Becel (so called for its blood cholesterol lowering properties) was launched in the Netherlands and was available on prescription from pharmacies. In the early 1960s Becel's formulation was changed to one based on sunflower oil. The product was launched in the UK, under the brand name Flora, and because of its health benefits, became the UK's most popular spread in the space of a few years, a position it has maintained ever since.Now available, Flora pro.activ is a cholesterol lowering spread enriched with plant sterols that reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol by an average of 10-15% within 3 weeks, when eaten as part of a healthy diet.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review