UK: The Flora "Family" and Heart Health
Unilever, the makers of Flora, has a long history in 'heart health' spreads and margarines, and is the world's leading producer.From the late 1950's onwards, the link between saturated fat in the diet and its relationship with blood cholesterol levels became increasingly established amongst the scientific community 1,2.At the request of the medical profession, Unilever was asked to develop a healthy alternative to butter, lard and hard margarine. The response was a spread that was high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and low in saturated fatty acids. The spread, known as Becel (so called for its blood cholesterol lowering properties) was launched in the Netherlands and was available on prescription from pharmacies. In the early 1960s Becel's formulation was changed to one based on sunflower oil. The product was launched in the UK, under the brand name Flora, and because of its health benefits, became the UK's most popular spread in the space of a few years, a position it has maintained ever since.Now available, Flora pro.activ is a cholesterol lowering spread enriched with plant sterols that reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol by an average of 10-15% within 3 weeks, when eaten as part of a healthy diet.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report