US: The Fresh Market to close stores, focus expansion
US retailer The Fresh Market has said it would close four stores and focus expansion on select markets in the next 12 months, announcements that sent its shares soaring this morning (7 March).
The Fresh Market, which has 156 outlets in 26 US states, said it would shut four stores - three in Sacramento in California and one in Texas.
It said it had undertaken "extensive analysis of expected future cash flows, the long-term strategic impact of individual stores and the capital and resources allocated to them". The outlets will be closed within the next week.
The closures are part of a wider review by The Fresh Market's management. It said it would "place a greater emphasis on existing market expansion" and "slow the pace of openings in frontier markets in the near- to medium-term".
"The company believes that a greater number of new store opportunities exist in markets east of the Mississippi River," it said. In its fiscal 2014/15 year, which started on 27 January, The Fresh Market plans to open 23 to 25 stores, it said. The retailer opened 20 in its last financial year.
The Fresh Market has also looked at his costs and has "identified a number of opportunities to better manage costs and improve efficiencies that it believes will not sacrifice customer service or corporate productivity". These savings will keep fiscal 2014 pre-opening expenses at the same level as fiscal 2013, The Fresh Market said.
Shares in The Fresh Market, which made the announcements after the closing bell in New York yesterday (6 March), were up 5.16% at US$35.76.
Alongside the news on stores, The Fresh Market reported lower annual earnings on the back of a drop in fourth-quarter profits, which missed analyst forecasts.
Natural food is a category of food that is minimally processed and is free of synthetic preservatives. It does not contain genetically modified organisms, high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweete...
Health and wellness food products can be defined as foods and beverages that are specially formulated and distinctively marketed to provide a distinct health or functional benefit to the consumers. Th...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report