US: The Fresh Market to close stores, focus expansion
US retailer The Fresh Market has said it would close four stores and focus expansion on select markets in the next 12 months, announcements that sent its shares soaring this morning (7 March).
The Fresh Market, which has 156 outlets in 26 US states, said it would shut four stores - three in Sacramento in California and one in Texas.
It said it had undertaken "extensive analysis of expected future cash flows, the long-term strategic impact of individual stores and the capital and resources allocated to them". The outlets will be closed within the next week.
The closures are part of a wider review by The Fresh Market's management. It said it would "place a greater emphasis on existing market expansion" and "slow the pace of openings in frontier markets in the near- to medium-term".
"The company believes that a greater number of new store opportunities exist in markets east of the Mississippi River," it said. In its fiscal 2014/15 year, which started on 27 January, The Fresh Market plans to open 23 to 25 stores, it said. The retailer opened 20 in its last financial year.
The Fresh Market has also looked at his costs and has "identified a number of opportunities to better manage costs and improve efficiencies that it believes will not sacrifice customer service or corporate productivity". These savings will keep fiscal 2014 pre-opening expenses at the same level as fiscal 2013, The Fresh Market said.
Shares in The Fresh Market, which made the announcements after the closing bell in New York yesterday (6 March), were up 5.16% at US$35.76.
Alongside the news on stores, The Fresh Market reported lower annual earnings on the back of a drop in fourth-quarter profits, which missed analyst forecasts.
Canadean's "The Fresh Market, Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products an...
Natural food is a category of food that is minimally processed and is free of synthetic preservatives. It does not contain genetically modified organisms, high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweete...
Health and wellness food products can be defined as foods and beverages that are specially formulated and distinctively marketed to provide a distinct health or functional benefit to the consumers. Th...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- PepsiCo to close Australia crisps plant
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis