UK: The future for organic food
IGD is holding its second conference on organic food on 15th November. Currently the 'hot' food industry topic, is organic food really the answer or will the bubble eventually burst?IGD's Dr Richard Hutchins, Business Manager, Consumer Unit, said "Organic is currently a brand with strong positive values attached to it. Many consumers instinctively believe it will be safer and healthier to eat than non-organic food. Although it is perceived to offer a variety of benefits, few seem to understand why or if these benefits really exist. Our research suggests that this perception is based mainly on image, rather than real consumer knowledge. "The challenge for industry is to explain the pros and cons of all production methods in a clearer way. This event will discuss ways in which industry can work together to improve the offer, and provide consumers with balanced information. This all needs to be done in the context of developing a wider, more accurate framework to alleviate any concerns about food production. Simon Brenman, Agricultural Development Director, The Soil Association added "We welcome the opportunity for people to find out more about the current state of the organic market at this timely and important conference. It will be of particular interest to hear the Italian and German perspectives."Speakers at the conference will include Eastbrook Farms Organic Meat, EHI (Germany), Federazione Nazionale delle Produzioni Biologiche di Confagricoltura (Italy), HiPP Nutrition, Organics-on-Line, Soil Association, Unipower Systems, Taylor Nelson Sofres, Waitrose and IGD. The August edition of IGD's Consumer Watch series focuses on consumer views of food production and one section examines views on organic foods. This national survey indicated that consumers perceive four main benefits of organic food.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review