Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food last week
US meat industry calling for government help amid soaring corn prices
Concerns over commodity costs, particularly corn, continued last week, with the US meat sector calling for government help. Meanwhile, the first-half results continued to roll in, with Kellogg claiming it is making good progress in Europe after a challenging few months. Elsewhere, we looked at Fresh Del Monte's plans to diversify its operations and published our latest briefing on how manufacturers and retailers are using social media.
US: Meat industry demands easing of corn ethanol rules
The US meat industry has called for an easing of renewable fuel regulations to reduce the amount of corn ethanol in the country produced this year as processors face soaring feed costs.
On the money: ADM looks to international investment as corn prices spike
Commodities giant Archer Daniels Midland has said it is continuing to increase its investment outside the US in light of the country's drought pushing corn prices up.
Comment: Unilever continues pruning food business
Unilever's latest disposal of food assets is just another sign the consumer goods giant is focusing more on its faster-growing home and personal care businesses.
On the money: Kellogg optimistic on Europe outlook
Kellogg revealed it is making good progress in Europe and said it feels better about the region's prospects in the second half of the year.
In the spotlight: Fresh Del Monte eyes broader food business
Fresh Del Monte Produce reported mixed first-half results this week but the numbers merely provided the context for the US company to insist it is looking at building a business that focuses not just on produce and not just on the developed markets of the West, writes Dean Best.
Street talk: Frugal shoppers means promo game must change
What role should promotions play when consumers are savvier and more value-conscious? SymphonyIRI's Rod Street believes offers can still be a sound short-term sales strategy - if implemented with the new consumer in mind.
Social media - the potential and the pitfalls - a management briefing from just-food
Manufacturers and retailers are continuing to use social media to market new products and connect with consumers. In this month's management briefing, Jonathan Thomas looks at how and why the likes of Facebook and Twitter are being used - and the potential and the problems of the medium.
GERMANY: Haribo fined for information sharing with rivals
Germany-based confectioner Haribo has been fined by the country's competition watchdog for improperly sharing information on sales negotiations with three rivals.
On the money: Metro to reveal plans for Real in November
Metro Group has said it will reveal further details of its plans for the future of its Real hypermarket chain in November.
BELGIUM/UK: PinguinLutosa to scrutinise UK costs
Vegetable supplier PinguinLutosa is looking to bring its production costs in the UK in line with those from its operations in Europe
Sectors: Advertising & labelling, Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Emerging markets, Financials, Fresh produce, Frozen, Health & wellness, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Mergers & acquisitions, Multichannel, Natural & organic, NPD & innovation, Private label, Retail, Seafood, Snacks, World foods
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report