Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
Europe's food industry searches for growth
This week, Europe's food industry met in Brussels to discuss how to ride out the economic downturn - and how to grow in a world of volatility, pressure on resources and global competition. And just-food was at the FoodDrinkEurope conference to report on the latest news and views from the event.
On the money: Danone predicts continued weakness in Europe
French food giant Danone said it expects the same weaknesses it has seen in its European dairy division this quarter to continue through into the fourth.
On the money: Nestle sees North America trend improvement
Nestle has said it is seeing positive trends resulting in market share gains in North America, where depressed consumer sentiment has proven problematic for the Swiss food giant through the beginning of this year.
On the money: PepsiCo focused on "balancing" Frito-Lay performance
PepsiCo has said it remains focused on "balancing" the performance of Frito-Lay as it looks to build momentum in the turnaround of its North American snack food business.
Deal or no deal: Unilever's potential Skippy sale
Unilever is "considering options" - including the potential sale - of its Skippy peanut butter brand in the US and Canada. The news has sparked fresh speculation that the group will ultimately sell off larger chunks of its food portfolio, which could lead to an eventual split. With Unilever insisting it "remains committed" to food, Katy Askew looks at the strategic rationale behind the possible sale.
Sustainability Watch - Jeanne von Zastrow, Food Marketing Institute
Information sharing and resources to help member companies make their businesses more sustainable feature prominently in the Food Marketing Institute's sustainability platform.
On the money: Supervalu in "active dialogue" on disposals
US retail operator Supervalu has indicated that it is exploring the possible the sale of unspecified parts of its business as it looks to return to profitable growth.
CANADA: Loblaw to axe HQ jobs
Around 700 jobs at Canadian retailer Loblaw could be cut as it plans to make its head office "leaner" and "more efficient".
UPDATE: GERMANY: Emmi, Gläserne Molkerei to exploit export opportunities
The tie-up between Emmi and German organic dairy group producer Gläserne Molkerei will enable the two groups to take greater advantage of export opportunities, the Swiss group has said.
In the spotlight - William Jackson takes on challenge of Abel & Cole
The deal by William Jackson Food Group (WJFG) to purchase organic food group Abel & Cole has garnered a mixed reaction from industry watchers, some of whom were surprised by the deal with others more confident of the fit.
Sectors: Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Emerging markets, Fresh produce, Frozen, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Natural & organic, NPD & innovation, Private label, Retail, Seafood, Snacks, World foods
The chairman of Nestle has reportedly insisted the Kit Kat maker is not interested in buying any chocolate companies as he rejected the possibly the Swiss food giant could buy Lindt & Sprungli....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis