Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
In the final week before the Christmas and New Year break, just-food published its review of the year, which included lists of our most-read content and featured an in-depth look at the M&A, retail trends, sustainability initiatives and commodity volatility we have seen in 2012. Elsewhere, the founder of US yoghurt firm Chobani ruled out a sale of the business, Sainsbury's said talk chief executive Justin King could leave in February "pure speculation" and Italian food group Barilla outlined its plans for emerging markets.
2012: just-food's review of the year
Economic uncertainty prevailed and the industry battled commodity volatility and weak consumer confidence. Here, we took a look back at another challenging year for the sector.
US: Chobani CEO rules out sale, coy on IPO
The chief executive of Chobani, the number one company in the fast-growing Greek yoghurt sector in the US, is not interested in selling the business but has not taken a possible IPO off the table.
UK: Sainbury's calls King exit talk "totally premature"
UK retailer Sainsbury's has dismissed reports chief executive Justin King could step down from his role in February.
ITALY: Barilla eyes Brazil in Latin American push
Italian food group Barilla has revealed it is looking to invest in Brazil as part of a wider push into Latin America.
On the money: General Mills optimistic about outlook for US cereal, yoghurt
General Mills has insisted it is upbeat about the prospects for its US cereal and yoghurt businesses, its two largest in the country and under scrutiny from analysts.
MEXICO: Arca Continental buys US snack firm Wise Foods
Mexican food and drink group Arca Continental has bolstered its snacks business with two acquisitions, including the purchase of US firm Wise Foods.
JAPAN: Suntory confirms shake-up, plans "aggressive" M&A
Suntory Holdings has confirmed plans for a major shake-up, including a raft of new executive appointments and a more "aggressive" M&A strategy.
NORWAY: Marine Harvest to buy stake in salmon firm Morpol
Norwegian seafood group Marine Harvest is to make a bid to buy 100% of salmon processor Morpol.
UK: Co-op hires Kingfisher's Sutherland as CEO
UK retailer The Co-operative Group has appointed Kingfisher executive Euan Sutherland as its new CEO.
Sectors: Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Emerging markets, Financials, Fresh produce, Frozen, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Mergers & acquisitions, Natural & organic, NPD & innovation, Private label, Retail, Seafood, Snacks, Sustainability & the environment, World foods
Sainsbury's has booked another quarter of like-for-like sales gains - bucking the downward trends in the wider UK grocery market and outperforming its peers. However, LFL growth has slowed significant...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details