Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
Tesco reported another year of falling profits
Tesco was in the spotlight this week after the publication of its annual results confirmed what a challenging year the UK's largest retailer endured. Another UK grocer under scrutiny is The Co-operative Group, which reported banking-induced losses, but revealed it is re-sizing its food retail estate to give it more focus. Elsewhere, China's WH Group, of which Smithfield Foods is now a part, announced plans to list in Hong Kong and US group Post Holdings made another M&A move, with a deal to buy egg-to-dairy supplier Michael Foods. Click on the headlines for more.
UK: Tesco FY profit slides on lower sales, margins
Tesco booked a near 7% drop in underlying pre-tax profit in fiscal 2013/14, a year that saw margin dented by investments in creating a "compelling offer for consumers" in a bid to stem the firm's sales decline.
US: Acquisitive Post Holdings swoops for Michael Foods
Acquisition-hungry US food group Post Holdings has today (17 April) announced its biggest takeover - an agreement to buy egg-to-dairy supplier Michael Foods for US$2.45bn.
CHINA: Meat processor WH Group details $5.3bn IPO
WH Group, the world's largest pork producer, has announced plans to list in Hong Kong in an initial public offering that could raise more than HK$42bn (US$5.3bn).
UPDATE: UK: Co-op to sell 60% of Somerfield estate in convenience drive
The Co-operative Group will sell around 60% of the space it acquired as part of the 2009 acquisition of Somerfield as the embattled UK grocer increases its focus on its core convenience estate.
NETHERLANDS: Daelmans acquires Fabulous Bakin' Boys
Dutch bakery group Daelmans has announced the acquisition of UK cake maker Fabulous Bakin' Boys.
UK: Bart expands in wet ingredients with OTP Foods buy
UK herbs and spices supplier The Bart Ingredients Co. has decided to expand its wet ingredients business with the acquisition of local firm OTP Foods.
NETHERLANDS: Wessanen sells snacks unit Izico to PE firm Egeria
Dutch food group Wessanen has announced the sale of Benelux snacks unit Izico to local private-equity firm Egeria in a deal worth EUR68m (US$93.9m).
Post Holdings, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Synopsis Canadean's "Pick n Pay Stores Limited : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains...
Synopsis Canadean's "Michael Foods Group, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Synopsis Canadean's "Pick n Pay Holdings Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019