Editor's choice: the highlights on just-food this week
Tesco reported another year of falling profits
Tesco was in the spotlight this week after the publication of its annual results confirmed what a challenging year the UK's largest retailer endured. Another UK grocer under scrutiny is The Co-operative Group, which reported banking-induced losses, but revealed it is re-sizing its food retail estate to give it more focus. Elsewhere, China's WH Group, of which Smithfield Foods is now a part, announced plans to list in Hong Kong and US group Post Holdings made another M&A move, with a deal to buy egg-to-dairy supplier Michael Foods. Click on the headlines for more.
UK: Tesco FY profit slides on lower sales, margins
Tesco booked a near 7% drop in underlying pre-tax profit in fiscal 2013/14, a year that saw margin dented by investments in creating a "compelling offer for consumers" in a bid to stem the firm's sales decline.
US: Acquisitive Post Holdings swoops for Michael Foods
Acquisition-hungry US food group Post Holdings has today (17 April) announced its biggest takeover - an agreement to buy egg-to-dairy supplier Michael Foods for US$2.45bn.
CHINA: Meat processor WH Group details $5.3bn IPO
WH Group, the world's largest pork producer, has announced plans to list in Hong Kong in an initial public offering that could raise more than HK$42bn (US$5.3bn).
UPDATE: UK: Co-op to sell 60% of Somerfield estate in convenience drive
The Co-operative Group will sell around 60% of the space it acquired as part of the 2009 acquisition of Somerfield as the embattled UK grocer increases its focus on its core convenience estate.
NETHERLANDS: Daelmans acquires Fabulous Bakin' Boys
Dutch bakery group Daelmans has announced the acquisition of UK cake maker Fabulous Bakin' Boys.
UK: Bart expands in wet ingredients with OTP Foods buy
UK herbs and spices supplier The Bart Ingredients Co. has decided to expand its wet ingredients business with the acquisition of local firm OTP Foods.
NETHERLANDS: Wessanen sells snacks unit Izico to PE firm Egeria
Dutch food group Wessanen has announced the sale of Benelux snacks unit Izico to local private-equity firm Egeria in a deal worth EUR68m (US$93.9m).
Post Holdings, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Synopsis Canadean's "Michael Foods Group, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Synopsis Canadean's "Pick n Pay Holdings Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major ...
Pick ’n’ Pay is expected to improve its position thanks to a growing presence within internet retailing in South Africa. As the company’s consumer base is middle- to high-income consumers, Pick ’n’ Pa...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details