The just-food international basket - Q4 2011
The latest data from the just-food international basket, published today, covers the fourth quarter of 2011.
The basket is a group of 17 items from tuna to milk that will highlight the difference in price between national brands and own label in seven international markets. Amid the worst economic conditions for a generation, shoppers are becoming more promiscuous in their behaviour and the data will prove valuable to brand manufacturers, own-label suppliers and retailers alike.
Rod Street, executive vice president of consulting at SymphonyIRI, provides analysis of this data here.
|CATEGORY||TYPICAL PACK SIZE||PACK TYPE|
|Cereals||500||Single Medium Box|
|Canned tuna fish||185||Single Can|
|Ambient wet soup||400||Single Can|
|Ambient Mayonnaise||400||Single Jar|
|Frozen Pizza||400||Single Average Size Pizza|
|Frozen Burger||224||4 Pack|
|Wet cat food||400||Single Can|
|Milk - Ambient||568||One Pint|
|Fruit juices - Ambient||1000||Single Carton|
|Energy drinks||250||Single Can|
|Tea bags||500||160ct Packet|
The Netherlands saw the biggest year-on-year jump in the value of the just-food international basket, with the total price increasing 7.3%. Greece was the only country covered to see the basket price decline.
If the basket was only made up of brands, its value would have increased the most in the Netherlands. If the basket contained only retail brands, the value of the basket would have risen in every market, including Greece.
Branded suppliers closed the price gap with retailers' own label in a number of markets. This can be seen most strongly in Greece where it moved nearly 3% but it has also dipped in markets like the Netherlands and Italy.
A mixed picture but it was in the UK where the percentage of food sold on promotion increased the most, by 1.4 percentage points.
Sectors: Private label
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019