UK: Thorntons reports near 10% fall in full-year pre-tax profit
UK chocolate maker and retailer Thorntons has reported a near 10% fall in full-year profits and said sales were hit by the hot UK summer. The company reported a pre-tax profit of £6.4m (US$10.2m) for the year to 28 June, compared to £7.1m a year earlier. The company said that in the first nine weeks of the new financial year, franchise sales had fallen 7.2%, while own shop like-for-like sales were down 1.9% due to the hot weather. Commercial sales rose 24.6% in the period, however, while gift delivery service sales rose 6.9%, reported AFX News.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund