UK: Thorntons shares melt after profit warning
Thorntons has announced it expects flat profits for its fiscal year
Shares in UK chocolate retailer Thorntons plummeted today (21 December) after it warned its annual profits would miss expectations.
The value of the struggling high street confectioner's shares dropped 36% to 24 pence after it forecast it would break even, compared to a previous outlook of GBP3.8m (US$6m) profit. It blames weak consumer confidence and promotions from competitors.
"Following continued weakness in consumer sentiment and high levels of promotional activity in the marketplace, the board now considers profits for its full year will fall short of current expectations," Thorntons said.
"The board now believes that profit before taxation, exceptionals and impairment and onerous lease charges will be around break even for the 53 weeks ending 30 June 2012.
A further trading update will be issued on 12 January 2012, the company said.
In September the company booked a pre-tax loss of GBP1.1m (US$1.75m) for the fiscal year to 25 June, compared to pre-tax profits of GBP6.1m the year before.
Thorntons has booked a drop in third-quarter sales as store closures and a difficult trading environment dented the chocolate group's result....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report