S AFRICA: Thorntons signs Massmart supply deal
Thorntons will supply its products to South African retailer Massmart
A spokesperson for Thorntons confirmed the deal to just-food today (10 September) but declined to give any further details of the agreement with the retailer, in which Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake.
Thorntons has been plagued by a run of poor results and profit warnings and, in a bid to improve profitability, the firm embarked on a restructuring programme earlier this year that will see it close a total of 180 owned stores.
In July, the group recorded a 7.8% increase in fourth-quarter sales, but despite the improvement, maintained a cautious outlook for the remainder of the year.
Thorntons is due to publish its preliminary results on Wednesday.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights