S AFRICA: Thorntons signs Massmart supply deal
Thorntons will supply its products to South African retailer Massmart
A spokesperson for Thorntons confirmed the deal to just-food today (10 September) but declined to give any further details of the agreement with the retailer, in which Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake.
Thorntons has been plagued by a run of poor results and profit warnings and, in a bid to improve profitability, the firm embarked on a restructuring programme earlier this year that will see it close a total of 180 owned stores.
In July, the group recorded a 7.8% increase in fourth-quarter sales, but despite the improvement, maintained a cautious outlook for the remainder of the year.
Thorntons is due to publish its preliminary results on Wednesday.
- Why "simple" and "real" will be industry buzzwords
- Nestle's 2014 results: 10 Things to Learn
- Why US Dietary Guidelines report deserves praise
- Maspex: M&A opportunities in eastern Europe
- The just-food interview: Bega Cheese CEO
- Kerry Group CEO expects more M&A in 2015
- Gruma FY earnings surge as margins improve
- Kerry sales, earnings rise but food weighs
- Glanbia FY profits beat analyst forecasts
- Pinnacle efficiency helps profits amid flat sales