S AFRICA: Thorntons signs Massmart supply deal
Thorntons will supply its products to South African retailer Massmart
A spokesperson for Thorntons confirmed the deal to just-food today (10 September) but declined to give any further details of the agreement with the retailer, in which Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake.
Thorntons has been plagued by a run of poor results and profit warnings and, in a bid to improve profitability, the firm embarked on a restructuring programme earlier this year that will see it close a total of 180 owned stores.
In July, the group recorded a 7.8% increase in fourth-quarter sales, but despite the improvement, maintained a cautious outlook for the remainder of the year.
Thorntons is due to publish its preliminary results on Wednesday.
- Deal or no deal: Frozen sale makes sense for Kerry
- JBS sees big opportunity from Primo Smallgoods
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Danone, General Mills, Chobani "mislead parents"
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Kerry puts frozen food unit on block - reports
- United Biscuits UK plant to start strike action
- Wrigley opposes Perfetti Van Melle "WTF" TM