S AFRICA: Thorntons signs Massmart supply deal
Thorntons will supply its products to South African retailer Massmart
A spokesperson for Thorntons confirmed the deal to just-food today (10 September) but declined to give any further details of the agreement with the retailer, in which Wal-Mart Stores owns a majority stake.
Thorntons has been plagued by a run of poor results and profit warnings and, in a bid to improve profitability, the firm embarked on a restructuring programme earlier this year that will see it close a total of 180 owned stores.
In July, the group recorded a 7.8% increase in fourth-quarter sales, but despite the improvement, maintained a cautious outlook for the remainder of the year.
Thorntons is due to publish its preliminary results on Wednesday.
- Briefing: How is gluten-free faring in Europe?
- Happy Family CEO on baby and beyond
- Pricing, productivity pay off for Mondelez
- BRICs and beyond: Kam Tai's Chinese growth story
- Analysis: Unilever's global ice cream push
- Mondelez Mexico investment to hit 600 US jobs
- Lactalis surpasses Danone on dairy league table
- Mondelez "cautiously optimistic" on China
- Unilever launches Magnum chocolates line
- Mondelez profits down but gives guidance boost