S AFRICA: Tiger Brands Kenyan deal falls through
South African food group Tiger Brands said its planned acquisition of Kenyan firms Rafiki Millers and Magic Oven Bakeries have foundered amid disagreement over the final terms of the deals.
Tiger said there was a "divergence of opinion on matters relating to the closing of the transaction" and the companies "mutually agreed" to end the planned deal.
The company announced in January it was looking to buy Kenyan flour miller Rifiki. The Kenyan firm is the country's fourth-largest flour miller, behind Mombasa Millers, Pembe Millers and Premier Group.
Tiger was coy about why the acquisition was not finalised but insisted the reasons were "transaction specific".
"We remain strongly of the view that the Kenyan and East African markets remain attractive," Tiger said. "We remain open to appropriate opportunities in Kenya and East Africa."
Tiger Brands has increasingly looked to develop its food operations and expand further into Africa's growing economies.
In 2012, the company purchased a majority stake in Nigerian flour and pasta maker Dangoteis.
Outside South Africa, Tiger has operations in countries including Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Cameroon.
Companies: Tiger Brands
Tiger Brands is the number one player in South African packaged food and a top five player in the wider Middle East and Africa region. The company has been gradually expanding in other African markets...
Synopsis Baby Food South Africa examines the trends in the baby food market for 2007-2013, with forecasts to 2019. It examines how live birth rates, breastfeeding trends, the economic crisis, new prod...
Following the acquisition of more than a 70% stake in Chococam by Tiger Brands, Chococam became a subsidiary of Tiger Brands....
Summary “Baby Food South Africa 2014” is a new report by ERC that analyzes the Baby Food industry demand prospects in South Africa, key segments, features & developments, future projections based on v...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global confectionery market during January 2014. Summary ...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global savory snacks market during January 2014. Summary ...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global bakery & cereals market during January 2014. Summa...
“Baby Nutrition Insights 2014 - Issue 18” is a new report that is the result of ERC’s extensive market research covering the baby food industry. It is a quarterly review of the latest news & analysis ...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report