FRANCE: Tilly-Sabco on brink as sole supplier poised to stop deliveries
Tilly-Sabco teeters on the brink
Nutréa, a subsidiary of Brittany-based co-operative, Triskalia, now the sole supplier of livestock to Tilly-Sabco, is poised to cease deliveries to the French poultry exporter if it does not receive guarantees of payment.
Tilly-Sabco has had its back to the wall since the EU withdrew subsidiaries for poultry exports last year. Its processing plant is operating two days per week with many of its workers laid off.
"Despite our willingness to support the sector, today it is not possible to decide on putting chicks into the breeding chain without guarantees of an outlet for them and of payment," a spokesperson for Triskalia told just-food.
A crisis meeting held yesterday at the state prefectoral office in Rennes, with all the parties concerned, made little or no progress on the main issues at stake.
Speaking on French TV channel, France 3 Bretagne, Tilly-Sabco's director of supplies, Jean-Pierre Garion, said: "We thought there'd be (an offer) of emergency aid to maintain the activity of breeders, Tilly-Sabco's abattoir and its workers until end-December this year - four months - as August will already be a blank month. But we were told that there would be no more public money for Tilly Sabco unless a buyer for the firm was found. As things stand, there is no buyer."
Short of poultry supplies, Tilly-Sabco's abattoir could close in September.
Sectors: Meat & poultry
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020