FRANCE: Tilly-Sabco on brink as sole supplier poised to stop deliveries
Tilly-Sabco teeters on the brink
Nutréa, a subsidiary of Brittany-based co-operative, Triskalia, now the sole supplier of livestock to Tilly-Sabco, is poised to cease deliveries to the French poultry exporter if it does not receive guarantees of payment.
Tilly-Sabco has had its back to the wall since the EU withdrew subsidiaries for poultry exports last year. Its processing plant is operating two days per week with many of its workers laid off.
"Despite our willingness to support the sector, today it is not possible to decide on putting chicks into the breeding chain without guarantees of an outlet for them and of payment," a spokesperson for Triskalia told just-food.
A crisis meeting held yesterday at the state prefectoral office in Rennes, with all the parties concerned, made little or no progress on the main issues at stake.
Speaking on French TV channel, France 3 Bretagne, Tilly-Sabco's director of supplies, Jean-Pierre Garion, said: "We thought there'd be (an offer) of emergency aid to maintain the activity of breeders, Tilly-Sabco's abattoir and its workers until end-December this year - four months - as August will already be a blank month. But we were told that there would be no more public money for Tilly Sabco unless a buyer for the firm was found. As things stand, there is no buyer."
Short of poultry supplies, Tilly-Sabco's abattoir could close in September.
Sectors: Meat & poultry
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis