FRANCE: Tilly-Sabco on brink as sole supplier poised to stop deliveries
Tilly-Sabco teeters on the brink
Nutréa, a subsidiary of Brittany-based co-operative, Triskalia, now the sole supplier of livestock to Tilly-Sabco, is poised to cease deliveries to the French poultry exporter if it does not receive guarantees of payment.
Tilly-Sabco has had its back to the wall since the EU withdrew subsidiaries for poultry exports last year. Its processing plant is operating two days per week with many of its workers laid off.
"Despite our willingness to support the sector, today it is not possible to decide on putting chicks into the breeding chain without guarantees of an outlet for them and of payment," a spokesperson for Triskalia told just-food.
A crisis meeting held yesterday at the state prefectoral office in Rennes, with all the parties concerned, made little or no progress on the main issues at stake.
Speaking on French TV channel, France 3 Bretagne, Tilly-Sabco's director of supplies, Jean-Pierre Garion, said: "We thought there'd be (an offer) of emergency aid to maintain the activity of breeders, Tilly-Sabco's abattoir and its workers until end-December this year - four months - as August will already be a blank month. But we were told that there would be no more public money for Tilly Sabco unless a buyer for the firm was found. As things stand, there is no buyer."
Short of poultry supplies, Tilly-Sabco's abattoir could close in September.
Sectors: Meat & poultry
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits