JAPAN: Tofu producer in bid to revive sales
A Japanese tofu producer is hoping to revive demand in the category with the launch of a brand containing less water than standard tofu.
Mase Tofu Machine has developed tofu that contains only 10% water compared to the usual 60%.
The new tofu has a meat-like texture that is not lost even after freezing. Its makers hope this type of cheesy tofu will revive Japan's taste for the traditional bean curd dish.
According to Japan's Tofu Association, tofu consumption in the home has been declining - along with that of rice - because of shrinking family sizes.
The soybean curd tofu has grown from being an Asian specialty to become a popular food in western markets. In this month’s just-food interview, Rupert Sutton met with Shingo Ito, the president of Japa...
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why Reckitt Benckiser moved for Mead Johnson
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action