Tootsie Roll Industries overseas sales fall hits Q1
Tootsie Roll Industries posted mixed Q1 results
Tootsie Roll Industries, the US confectioner, has booked a fall in first-quarter sales on the back of lower revenues from overseas, although the company's profits rose year-on-year.
The company booked a 2% dip in net sales to US$103.4m.
Net earnings were up 8.1% at US$9.9m, Tootsie Roll Industries said in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Ellen Gordon, the chairman of Tootsie Roll Industries, said: "First-quarter 2016 sales were adversely affected by lower export sales from the US to foreign markets and a decrease in sales of foreign subsidiaries,including the effects of a stronger US dollar and currency translation."
She added: "Net earnings in first quarter 2016 benefited from higher price realisation on sales, but were adversely impacted by lower export sales and results of foreign subsidiaries, as well as increased manufacturing costs."
Gordon said the increase in manufacturing expenses was due to lower production volumes as Tootsie Roll Industries sought to reduce its inventory amid what it called "uncertainties surrounding changes in state and national labeling regulations and requirements".
Canadean's "Tootsie Roll Industries, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profi...
The confectionery market in the US can be divided into three major categories: chocolate, gum, and sugar confectionery....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review