UK: Traditional livestock farms face extermination through Government inaction
Traditional livestock systems, supplying local meat outlets, face extermination if changes are not made quickly to the current unfair system of charging for meat inspection. Small and medium-sized abattoirs and cutting plants are being forced out of business by crippling and grossly unfair charges imposed nowhere else within the EU. The situation is so serious that the Soil Association has joined forces with six, apparently disparate organisations, to help save the smaller abattoir sector which organic livestock producers and consumers of locally-produced organic meat, depend upon. Sir Julian Rose, a trustee of the Soil Association and Chairman of their Standards Board, will be presenting a 120,000-strong petition to Downing Street today (Thursday 12 October at 1.45pm), urging the Prime Minister to take urgent action to avoid another serious and totally avoidable crisis for the livestock industry. Sir Julian said,
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report