CAN/US: TreeHouse completes ED Smith acquisition
TreeHouse Foods has announced that it has completed its acquisition of Canadian private-label sauces and dressing specialist ED Smith (EDS).
TreeHouse, which is the largest producer of pickles in the US, announced its move to acquire all of the operating assets of the ED Smith Income Fund in June, agreeing to pay C$220m for the company, and assume some $100m in net debt and transaction costs.
ED Smith is a leading supplier of private-label salad dressings in both Canada and the US, and also markets ED Smith brand jams, jellies and pie fillings, as well as other private-label products in Canada.
The all-cash deal is being financed through borrowings under the TreeHouse's existing US$600m credit facility.
"ED Smith opens access to both new geography and new product categories", said chairman and CEO Sam K. Reed. "The name 'ED Smith' is renowned in the world of private-label foods where its reputation sets the standard in strategic alignment and cooperation with grocery customers. We will benefit greatly on both sides of the border from EDS, not only in opening markets, but also in extending our scope as an industry leader."
TreeHouse has said that ED Smith is expected to contribute approximately $0.07 per share on an annualised basis but will only contribute $0.01 per share of operating earnings in the fourth quarter of 2007 based on the closing date of the transaction.
This morning (9 April) sees the start of one of the most anticipated dates on the retail calendar - the World Retail Congress 2008 - and just-food will be there bringing you coverage live from the eve...
The great and good of the retail world this week descended on the Spanish city of Barcelona for the World Retail Congress 2008. The leading lights of the sector spent three days discussing the key iss...
A new report from Verdict Research has suggested that the French retail market could be set for a shake-up if key pieces of legislation are reformed....
Tesco will make of a success of its US venture Fresh & Easy, industry executives told the World Retail Congress in Barcelona today (9 April)....
Greencore, the European private-label food group, has set its sights on entering the US within two years, the company told just-food today (9 April)....
US supermarket group Supervalu has announced the launch its new Wild Harvest own brand organic and natural brand....
The great and good of the retail world yesterday (9 April) descended on the Spanish city of Barcelona for the World Retail Congress 2008, where the leading lights of the sector will spend three days d...
First Quality Foods has exited the dry food packing business with the sale of their couscous packing division, including the Sammy's brand, for an undisclosed sum....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review