UK: Two BSE offspring enter the human food chain
FSA concerned at breach of controls
The Food Standards Agency has been informed by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, DEFRA, that meat from the offspring of two cows with BSE has reached the human food chain. Offspring of BSE affected cattle are not allowed to enter the food chain as part of the BSE control measures.
The Agency is concerned about continuing breaches of these controls. The likelihood that the two animals had BSE is low. The parts of an animal most likely to contain BSE infectivity are removed at the abattoir, as was the case with these animals.
One animal, aged 15 months, was slaughtered in December 2001 and put into the food chain. None of the meat is now left. The other, aged 26 months, was slaughtered in January and some of the meat has entered the food chain. The Agency has asked DEFRA for the remainder of the meat to be seized and destroyed.
The Food Standards Agency has announced the setting up of an incidents task force to strengthen existing controls in the food chain in order to reduce the possibility of future contamination incidents...
The Ugandan government has banned the import of all dairy products to stop the possible entry of the disease BSE, according to the agency AFP....
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) today announced the launch of the largest research project it has undertaken to date, to look at what consumers would like to see on front-of-pack labelling....
Japan's independent Food Safety Commission has today (Friday) approved an easing of the blanket testing of all cows for BSE, paving the way for lifting an import ban on US beef, the Kyodo news agency ...
Food experts are discussing plans to test a range of spices imported into the UK for illegal dyes, according to the BBC....
Over zealous application of new EU hygiene laws by the UK authorities could lead to the closure of more than a third of abattoirs according to a BBC report....
The Food Standards Agency says that Ebenezer Foods palm oil has been found to be contaminated with the illegal dye, Sudan IV....
A former US government veterinarian has claimed the US government is hiding cases of BSE in the United States....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review