US: Tyson beef recalled in E.coli scare
Tyson Foods is recalling beef products amid an E.coli scare
Tyson Fresh Meats is recalling approximately 131,300 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli.
The recall affects the Kroger Quality Guaranteed Ground Beef, Butcher’s Brand Premium Beef and Ground Beef products from the Kansas-based arm of Tyson Foods. Each package bears the establishment code EST 245D as well as a “Best Before or Freeze By SEP 12, 20112”.
The United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service was notified of illnesses caused by the 0157:H7 strain of E.coli in Butler County by Ohio health authorities where leftover ground beef was found in the patients’ home.
E.coli O157:H7 is a bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhoea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney failure.
A statement on the company website said: “Given the use by dates it is likely most of the affected product has already been consumed. However, the company urges consumers to check their freezers and, if they find the product in question, to return or discard it.”
Tyson Foods COO Jim Lochner has predicted a continued decline in the amount of protein available to US consumers for the foreseeable future....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report