US: Tyson, Post "in running" for Michael Foods
According to Reuters, citing unnamed sources, Tyson and Post have emerged as final contenders in the acquisition battle for the firm, which is expected to generate US$2.5bn.
Michael Foods manufactures products under the Papetti's, Crystal Farms, AllWhites and Simply Potatoes brands. The group generates annual sales of around $1.5bn.
Michael Foods was acquired in 2010 by Goldman Sachs' investment arm GS Capital Partners for $1.7bn. Rumours that Goldman Sachs was seeking to offload the business emerged at the end of last year.
Speculation has largely focused on Tyson as a potential strategic buyer. A spokesperson for the company declined to comment when contacted by just-food today (14 April).
Tyson Foods is expanding its stable of value-added brands. It has indicated it wants to increase exposure to prepared foods in order to offset some of the swings in commodity prices associated with the protein markets.
Last year, sales of prepared foods accounted for just 10% of group revenue. However, Tyson plans to grow value-added sales and the company has realigned its management structure to reflect this aim - separating its prepared foods and chicken operating units.
Meanwhile, acquisitive Post said it grew first-quarter sales by one-quarter in February. Revenue was boosted by the contribution of recently-acquired Attune Foods and Premier Nutrition Corp, although higher interest costs hit the bottom line. In the same month, the firm revealed a deal to acquire the PowerBar and Musashi brands from Nestle.
Post and Michael Foods did not return requests for comment at time of press.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Synopsis The Canadean Global Top 10 Food Companies: Company Guide is a crucial resource for anyone looking to gain information on the top companies in the global food industry. Detailed company profil...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global prepared meals market during August 2014. Using t...
"The Future of the Prepared Meals Market in Israel to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company re...
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- Decision on US dietary advice missed opportunity
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Retail margin management in spotlight
- PepsiCo, Coca-Cola 'battle for stake in Chobani'
- Arla banned from selling skyr yoghurt in Finland
- Kerry eyes more European markets for Cheestrings
- Raisio revamps UK cereal arm, jobs to go
- Earth's Best infant formula line launched in China
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Marks & Spencer Plc in Retailing (United Kingdom)