US: Tyson, Post "in running" for Michael Foods
According to Reuters, citing unnamed sources, Tyson and Post have emerged as final contenders in the acquisition battle for the firm, which is expected to generate US$2.5bn.
Michael Foods manufactures products under the Papetti's, Crystal Farms, AllWhites and Simply Potatoes brands. The group generates annual sales of around $1.5bn.
Michael Foods was acquired in 2010 by Goldman Sachs' investment arm GS Capital Partners for $1.7bn. Rumours that Goldman Sachs was seeking to offload the business emerged at the end of last year.
Speculation has largely focused on Tyson as a potential strategic buyer. A spokesperson for the company declined to comment when contacted by just-food today (14 April).
Tyson Foods is expanding its stable of value-added brands. It has indicated it wants to increase exposure to prepared foods in order to offset some of the swings in commodity prices associated with the protein markets.
Last year, sales of prepared foods accounted for just 10% of group revenue. However, Tyson plans to grow value-added sales and the company has realigned its management structure to reflect this aim - separating its prepared foods and chicken operating units.
Meanwhile, acquisitive Post said it grew first-quarter sales by one-quarter in February. Revenue was boosted by the contribution of recently-acquired Attune Foods and Premier Nutrition Corp, although higher interest costs hit the bottom line. In the same month, the firm revealed a deal to acquire the PowerBar and Musashi brands from Nestle.
Post and Michael Foods did not return requests for comment at time of press.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Synopsis The Canadean Global Top 10 Food Companies: Company Guide is a crucial resource for anyone looking to gain information on the top companies in the global food industry. Detailed company profil...
Synopsis The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Chilled Raw Packaged Meat - Processed category in Indonesia, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also ...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global prepared meals market during August 2014. Using t...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019