US: Tyson silent over Michael Foods acquisition talk
If Tyson Foods was to acquire Michael Foods, it would significantly strengthen its poultry arm.
According to Reuters, Tyson is looking at a possible bid for Michael Foods. Citing anonymous sources, the news agency said a potential deal could be worth US$2-2.5bn.
When contacted by just-food today, a spokesperson for Tyson said: "We don't comment on rumours and speculation."
Michael Foods manufacturers products including eggs, refrigerated potatoes and cheese. Goldman Sachs bought Michael Foods in a $1.7bn deal in 2010.
Last month, Reuters reported Michael Foods had asked Goldman Sachs to help it prepare for an auction.
In November, Tyson president and CEO Donnie Smith, following the company's annual results announcement, said the company had its eye on M&A but was also keen to grow its existing prepared foods business.
"With our cash flow, it's obvious that acquisitions are within our view," he said at the time.
Last year, the company's net earnings grew by more than a third, hitting US$778m.
No one was immediately available for comment at either Goldman Sachs or Michael Foods when approached by just-food.
Tyson Foods, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offeri...
Synopsis Canadean's "Michael Foods Group, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Synopsis Canadean's "Tyson Foods, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile co...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019