ARGENTINA: UBS takes stake in Cencosud subsidiary
UBS has taken a stake in Cencosud's Argentine subsidiary
Investment bank UBS has taken a stake in Jumbo, the Argentine arm of Chilean retailer Cencosud.
The retailer announced yesterday (30 March) that UBS spent US$442m acquiring a 38.6% stake in the chain, shares previously held by a number of investment funds.
Cencosud said an agreement with UBS means that the retailer can buy the stake back from the bank within two years.
Earlier this month, the retailer said that net income rose 23.8% during 2010 on the back of higher sales across its different store formats.
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India
- Parmalat nears Lacteos Brasil acquisition
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- Italy yoghurt woes lead to Emmi profit warning